Baba

Reading is like breathing...

Come Away With Me  - Kristen Proby

Review completed November 11, 2012

46 Kindle pages refer to the term beautiful. Even the chocolate cake and the aircraft are beautiful. *facepalm*

Photobucket

Come Away With Me is one of the worst books I've read this year. Let's get down to business…

DNF at 51 %. Reading this book is clearly very unhealthy for me cos I'm sure that my blood pressure went through the roof. This story is simply 'blah'. Honestly, I had to look twice when I saw all those four and five-star ratings and I thought "What is wrong with you, Baba? Did we all read the same book?" *shakes head*

I apologize to you all for using the term "shallow" pretty excessively in my review of Come Away With Me. While we're on it, the author applied the term 'beautiful' 130 times in the context of human beings. How shallow is that?

His beautiful lips
His beautiful face
Oh, wait, it gets better yet: his impossibly beautiful face
He's so beautiful
beautiful hair
His beautiful blue eyes
Good night, beautiful
Your sweet, beautiful ass
"You." Kiss. "Are." Kiss. "Beautiful."
You look beautiful
beautiful girl
His sister is simply beautiful
The granddaughter is beautiful
His beautiful hand

Of course it is very repetitive. I did not count how many times Natalie took Luke's beautiful face in her hand. Ugh!

Everybody is beautiful. Anything and everything is beautiful.Come Away With Me is clearly OVERPOPULATED by beautiful and shallow people. In fact, it's a shallow beauty contest and I feel like I am in the wrong movie. It's a story about shallow insta' lust & "love" that did not work out for me at all. Granted, insta' lust works just fine with me when it's well done. Unfortunately the author didn't pull it off here. Hence, I never felt their chemistry and the sexual tension was totally lacking as well. By no stretch of the imagination was I ever able to bond with the characters either.

The cover is great but other than that I didn't like anything at all about this story. Come Away With Me provides shallow and one-dimensional MCs. The sex scenes are boring and poorly written and the heroine has body issues to no end from the get-go. The hero is an overly jealous fool. That said, I disliked his hot and cold attitude. And when Nat had a shooting with a client, he lost it when he thought he found them in a compromising situation. Another lame and ridiculous conflict. Finally, when Natalie was up to date about Luke being (view spoiler) she freaked out, acted childish and displayed her super drama queen attitude. Unbelievable. Absurd. The writing is shallow, wooden, stilted and immature.

"God, I'm an idiot." (So true, Natalie.)
I'm embarrassed, I just want to run. (Yes, do that.)
I want him gone. (Uh-huh)
I want him to hold me and tell me it's not true. (Are you for real? *rolls eyes*)

After an unpleasant incident at his parents' house, I thought she was smart enough to realize she didn't do anything wrong. Oh, Baba, think again! They go back to his house and what does she do? Nat is insecure and she starts to tell me what he might be thinking right now and that is one of my pet peeves.

Where did he go?
I frown as unease starts to unfurl through my stomach. Oh my God, I really screwed up. (Duh?) He must be mad at me for the way I spoke to his sister at dinner. (*facepalm*) Where is he? (I hope he never comes back.)
Maybe he wants me to leave, and he's giving me space to pack my things. (I'd wish.)
I climb the stairs and head for his bedroom, willing myself not to cry until I get home. (Please, spare me!) I'll just pack my things and get the hell out of here. Then I can fall apart. (Just hold back till I'm gone. *rolls eyes again*)

Photobucket

"No one has ever jumped to my defense like that. You were so calm and sure of yourself, and so pissed off. Your green eyes were on fire, and you looked so beautiful. (blah...*rolls eyes once more*) I wanted to f@ck you right there at the table." (*gasp*)
"Luke Williams!" I pull back and stare at him, shocked.
"It's true. You turned me on, big time." (Really?)
"I don't think that would have been appropriate with your parents sitting at that same table." (Truer words have never been spoken.)
"I don't think I would have cared if the Pope and Elvis were sitting at that table." (I'm sure the Pope would have had a heart attack and Elvis is turning over in his grave right now.

Frankly, I completely understand that some people get off on voyeurism. But. What Luke said was simply disgusting. Doing the deed in front of his parents? No, thanks.

Overall verdict
Come Away With Me is a huge disappointment and one of the worst books I've read this year. Read at your own risk.

A shout out to my GR friend Tammy