Baba

Reading is like breathing...

Split - Mel Bossa

4 refreshing stars.****Review completed November 3, 2013

Nick's eyes are stunning. Icy blue like the Northern sky.

The color purple is meaningful.
 photo 1ed166c2-2b26-4dc8-af78-30ef8941ea2a_zpsfca8e255.jpg

The main protagonists Derek and Nick differ greatly in their characterizations and that's exactly what I found so interesting about them. Derek is a bit shy and pretty quiet. There's a dreamlike quality about his mind and he's often absent-minded and lives in his own little purple world. And then there is Nick. Quick-tempered, angry and a tad dangerous. A ripped rebel with blond hair and piercing blue eyes. He's (view spoiler) and growing up is a struggle. One day he (view spoiler)

The story is told from Derek's POV and alternates between past and present. When it's done right I don't mind the back and forth and I like to see characters grow up from childhood to adulthood. In this case, however, I must say that less is sometimes more. Meaning, I would have preferred to spend much more time in the here and now, seeing Derek and Nick's relationship evolve. Unfortunately it never happened. That's my first big issue. Not nearly enough page time for Derek and Nick as a couple. What was there just couldn't satisfy my needy and greedy little heart. Though what really stands out for me is the witty and compelling writing and of course the likable MCs. Also, Aunt Fran was truly a great bonus and I did appreciate her appearance very much. She acted like a surrogate mother to Derek and I was glad to see that someone really loved him when (view spoiler).

Also, I'm not sure if an eleven-year-old boy is skilled (and old) enough to write so maturely. Derek sure was wise beyond his years. In any event, I really enjoyed his diary records; they made me smile and laugh frequently. Yet at the same time I felt a bit guilty for having had such a good time because Derek's journal revealed so much sadness, lack of self-confidence and heartache.

photo cef7945d-b965-4f96-8bc1-a710b96e5131_zps7d7a11c5.jpg

Boone is obsessed with girls. In kindergarten, he'd have pockets full of bubble gum and coax the girls into showing him their privates. He thinks I don't know that, but I used to watch him do it. It's funny, none of the girls ever asked for the gum afterward.
I ended up chewing a lot of gum that year.

I grew up, and then caught a deadly virus called adulthood.

"Be good," he said as he walked out the front door. "I'll call you tonight. Have a good time with your folks."
A good time with my folks.
That's like asking me to enjoy guilt-free anal sex.

"Derek! I worry about your soul!"
Yes yes, I know. So do I.
I'd like to know where it went.

photo a378a30d-c385-4f61-9f8f-3895ea941931_zpsb4d3bd10.jpg

Boone laughed. "You should see your face right now. You still have a thing for him, don't you?"
My cheeks filled with heat. "No, I do-don't."
"Right. Of course you don't. Then it doesn't' matter if I tell you that Nico swings both ways. I mean, I'm just saying."

photo tumblr_mf9ru2Rmvj1r9aisho1_500_zpsc830a1b6.gif

"I bet you that cold ocean could use a little of your warmth."

photo tumblr_mrcbwe0IwW1rowi1no1_500_zps25cb49a1.gif

I loved this:
When Derek was a boy he used to draw everything in purple. Purple trees and purple cars. Purple stick men and purple hearts.

"Why?" asked Lene, watching me.
"I asked him that same question one day," returned Aunt Fran.
"Oh and Lene, you should have seen those big emerald eyes, the way they shone. He said, (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

My second main issue was the sex. I'm going to give it to you straight. It was anticlimactic. I mean these two have such great chemistry and the entire build-up almost killed me. Anticipation, anyone? The air was blazing hot and the need and desire was so palpable and then after a pretty good foreplay session…this…I mean...seriously…this is all I get?

Say what?

BTW, where was the lube? Ouch.

Now let me say a few words about Derek's relationship with Nathan. Derek really annoyed me and I wanted to yell at him to wake up already. He must have some serious hang-ups and an inferior complex when he can spend two years with a self-righteous, thoughtless and manipulative asshole who used him as his boy toy. Do this, do that. Wear this, wear that. Blow me. Let me f@ck you etc. The narcissistic Nathan exploited Derek from A to Z. Have a great time (view spoiler) you jerk!

My favorite quote by Aunt Frannie.

"Keep staring, hon. And don't you dare blink, baby. Don't you dare."

I'll see you around, guys...in Blue Dreams. That's next up for me.

Despite my issues, a lot about Split is like a breath of fresh air and I'm definitely going to read more by this author.

UPDATE
After having read and extremely despised Blue Dreams, I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy more books by Mel Bossa. I truly wish I hadn't read Blue Dreams and in a way the author achieved to ruin a wonderful book (Split) for me. Sad.

Recommended read.

If you want to read my spoilers then check out the GR link below.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/648092486