Baba

Reading is like breathing...

Gabriel's Redemption (Gabriel's Inferno Trilogy) - Sylvain Reynard

4 stars.****Review posted November 26, 2013

When you forgive, you in no way change the past--but you sure do change the future.
by Bernard Meltzer

photo tumblr_mjuxpmMm3I1qffcrao8_500_zpsdcadf8b5.gif

photo tumblr_mqxfdlpgNQ1r8mmrfo1_500_zps92b850dc.gif

photo beb6d123-9e05-426b-b630-467b3649bfed_zps8aaaabeb.jpg

Julia and Gabriel have come a long way. They first met when Julia was seventeen years old. Eight years later, it’s safe to say that their road to a HEA wasn’t easy, and yet neither time nor circumstances and enemies could prevent them from falling in love with each other and being together now and forever. In Gabriel’s Redemption we see Gabriel working as a professor at Boston University while Julia has just finished her first year as a PhD at Harvard.

photo 1ad289ef-509d-4ac7-9cd3-cbecf1949251_zps1e5dd76c.jpg

"For you, my love, I would endeavor to pluck the stars from the sky, only to shower them at your feet."
Julia pressed her hand over her heart. "How do you do that?"
"Do what?"
"Say things like that. That's beautiful."
He offered her a half-smile. "I've spent years studying poetry, Mrs. Emerson. It's in my DNA."

photo tumblr_ms949j9byD1sabwg8o1_400_zps4bcf1a77.gif

"This time I won't stop," he whispered, his large hand pulling up her dress in order to rest on her thigh.
"Good."
"There's no air conditioning in here, so things might get a little…hot." He stroked the skin of her thigh with the back of his hand. "I would expect nothing less, Professor."

photo tumblr_m59u2rusHa1r6sxtfo1_500.gif

"So how good was the sex we just had? On a scale of one to transcendent?"
"Earth-shattering and tie forgetting."

Gabriel’s Redemption is the interesting story arc to Julia and Gabriel’s mutual journey. Interesting because we see a more mature Julia—at least most of the time. When arguing she can stand up for herself and maintain her opinion. Even though Gabriel is a well-respected and established Dante specialist, Julia did her own research and is not afraid to stick to her alternative point of view. Interesting also because we get to know more about Gabriel’s difficult past and we see Julia and Gabriel talking about family planning (no spoiler, read the blurb). In fact, family and kids are major topics in Gabriel's Redemption. Also, I really loved the Superman references and in this context I enjoyed Julia and Gabriel’s banter and teasing. It was sweet and hilarious and counterbalanced a couple of other somewhat wistful scenes.

Basically Gabriel’s Redemption is about guilt and fears and making the ‘right’ choices. It’s about making amends with the past, accepting what can’t be changed or reversed anymore. But of course it’s also about love. Love eases past mistakes and paves the path to a brighter future. Life bears uncertainty and sometimes we must take risks to ensure a happier future. That’s what Julia and Gabriel experience in Gabriel’s Redemption. We also see a Gabriel who’s deeply in love with his Julia. He clearly worships the ground she walks on. Their love for each other equals breathing because it is so vital. Julia changed Gabriel's life completely and his heart beats for her and vice versa; nothing can come between these two because they’re meant for each other.

Minor quibbles
I know that we ALL believe in something or someone and that's perfectly fine. However, as a non-religious person the praying and talking about God didn't appeal to me. I found it a tad too preachy and that's not something I'm looking for in my books. Redemption is a very interesting subject, and yet it isn't necessarily linked to God and prayers. Making amends with yourself and with the people you've hurt doesn't require a faith in God or a higher power.

The Chocolate Body Paint scene left me somewhat underwhelmed because I honestly expected a longer and more sensual interlude.

Putting so many sentences in parentheses is distracting.

And last but not least the ending was somewhat too melodramatic and corny for my liking.

Gabriel's Redemption is an engagingly penned and very good conclusion to Julia and Gabriel's journey. It ties up all the loose ends nicely, and I'm pretty sure that readers who loved the first two books will also devour their final story arc. And while I did enjoy Gabriel's Redemption, Gabriel's Inferno will always be my favorite book of the trilogy.

On the one hand, I’m sad to see this trilogy come to an end. On the other hand, I’m very glad that Julia and Gabriel have found their HEA. It goes without saying that Gabriel's Redemption is a must read for every fan of The Sexy Professor.

Recommended read.

photo tumblr_macwjhsejq1rdppjno1_500_zps357b1fa5.gif

All quotes are taken from the pre-published copy and may be altered or omitted in the final copy.

**ARC courtesy of Penguin Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/505288726