Baba

Reading is like breathing...

Temple is delicious.

No Good Duke Goes Unpunished - Sarah MacLean

4 redeeming stars.****Review completed December 2, 2013

photo tumblr_ms74fx6HTM1qcg42vo1_500_zps3ba73d73.gif

photo tumblr_m8klaqHqkw1r4cez7o1_500_zps0947f825.gif

For the last twelve years Temple (William Harrow, Marquess of Chapin and heir to the dukedom of Lamont) had lived with the conviction that he killed Mara Lowe on the eve of her wedding with his father. After that fateful night Mara disappeared without trace. But then quite unexpectedly Mara appears at Temple's townhouse, hale and hearty. A myriad of emotions hits him. As a matter of fact, he didn't only feel relief when he knew that she was alive. If anything, Temple felt angry, betrayed and bitter. After all, she'd stolen a major part of his life when she set him up so long ago. Temple wants to know what happened that fateful night at Whitefawn. However, Mara is not willing to tell him anything if Temple won't accept a trade. Even though Temple's reputation had been destroyed twelve years ago, he was one of the wealthiest men in London. And Mara needs money (view spoiler) Finally they make a deal and start playing a "game" until Temple decides to reveal Mara's identity, so he can restore his good name in exchange for (view spoiler)

"You are angry."
He shook his head. "Angry does not even begin to describe the depths of my emotion."
She nodded, skipping backward across the room once more. "Fair enough. Furious."
He advanced. "That's closer."
"Irate."
"That, too."
She looked behind her, saw the sideboard looming. This wasn't a very large room, after all.
"Livid."
"And that. "

It's time to take responsibility for past transgressions.

photo d66b917d-b620-4762-af5a-f9e2212d1748_zps385d4804.jpg

So, while Temple is out for retribution, over time he began to actually like and adore Mara. He wanted her. Though Temple hadn't expected for that to happen.

He was beside her in an instant, collecting her in his arms, pulling her tight to him, and taking her lips. Claiming her in front of God and London. Tasting her sweetness. Her spice. The roar of those assembled faded away as he consumed her, the kiss too rough, too searing, until he realized that she was matching it with her own passion. Her own fervor.

photo tumblr_m7l17lmtj41rqq0c0o1_500_zpsf16fd7bd.gif

Lavender was a pure joy, so hilarious! There were a couple adorable scenes that included the two dozen boys, Temple, Mara and (view spoiler)
In fact, Temple has a very good hand when it comes to kids and he passed on some pearls of wisdom now and then.

Meet Lavender...
(view spoiler)

She turned in her chair to look up at him. "It was not meant as one. I was merely pointing out your libidinous ways."
His brows rose. "Libidinous."
"Roguish. Rakish. Scallawaginous. Scoundrelly."
"I'm certain that some of those words are not words."
"Now you're angling for a position as governess?"
"If the boys are learning words like scallawaginous, it might not be the worst idea."

photo d556f0b0-ad7e-4a13-ac35-b94929dea875_zps8d9252cb.jpg

At 52 % something very tragic happened.

photo tumblr_mso3b5XR5t1qa4kuwo1_500_zps178e69ab.gif

(view spoiler)

The Fallen Angel
 photo tumblr_mptpnpd6dM1svftxqo1_500_zps9736d2b3.gif

There's not much smexyness in this story but what's there was very sensual and beautifully written. This may sound a bit odd to you when I say that I LOVED their sexual tension and titillating chemistry, but I wasn't really able to feel and understand their ILYs. It happened too fast and I just needed…more. I can't even explain what was actually lacking. I just know, however, that something was missing. Maybe I just needed more relationship development because in the end everything felt a little bit too rushed and resolved quite conveniently.

It was a taunt. A challenge.
One he did not refuse. He set his lips to her breast, loving the little cry that escaped her as he worried that sacred skin, sucking low and soft until the cry became a moan in the dark room. He could not stop himself from pulling her closer, lifting her from her feet, wrapping her legs about his waist, worshipping her there in that room that rarely knew pleasure and too often knew pain.
And then she'd released the strap altogether, her weight in his arms and her fingers in his hair, holding him tight against her, encouraging his caress, begging him for more, urging him to give her everything he could.

To me the best aspect of No Good Duke Goes Unpunished is the sexy-as-sin hero Temple. He's incredibly delicious and very sensual. It goes without saying that Temple is a somewhat dark, brooding and broken creature. One could think he lost his ability to smile and laugh. On the other hand, it's not surprising because twelve years marked as a killer will change a man after all. What's even better is the fact that he was a fighter and made good use of his fists in the ring. However, he doesn't only strike with his fists, he's also a ruler over thoughts and words. I think this was a battle of wits because both main protagonists have a sharp tongue and they really know how to use it. Temple repeatedly infuriates Mara with his quick mind and challenging demeanor. And once again the author achieved to write a somewhat different heroine. She might not go down in my book history as one of my favorite heroines, yet I really did like her. Plus, her background story was interesting. All in all the plot is a bit oppressive but the witty and compelling dialogue brightened the overall atmosphere of the story very nicely.

"And here I was, hoping you would give me a token to wear into battle."
Her gaze narrowed. "I ought to have your sabre tempered with."
Temple raised a brow. "Sabre tampering, is that how they refer to it at the MacIntyre Home for Boys?"
Bourne snickered, and Mara cut him a look. "You are a marquess, are you not?
"I am."
"Tell me, do you ever act like it? I only ask because it does not seem that your friend cares much for behaving like a duke. I thought the immaturity was perhaps catching. Like influenza.
Admiration flashed in Bourne's gaze. He turned to Temple. "Charming."
"And she's armed with laudanum."
Bourne nodded. "I shan't drink anything she gives me, then."
"And a (view spoiler) she added dryly.
He raised a brow. "And keep a vigilant watch."
"It's an intelligent plan," Temple offered.

"Hebert made you a pocket?"
She narrowed her gaze on him through the mask. "I thought I'd made it clear that I am quite skilled with a needle."
He couldn't stop the laugh that came then. The woman was remarkable. She'd received a dress that cost more than her salary for a year, and immediately installed a pocket to (view spoiler)
In more ways than one.

Minor quibbles
I was surprised how fast (view spoiler)

I love the author's writing but the more I read the more irritated I became with all those one word, two word or three word sentences, i.e.

Anger.
Desperation.
Frustration.
Sadness.
He loved her.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes it works fine but there are situations where it's downright annoying and it threw me out of the story.

The final chapter was too corny for my liking. On the other hand I did enjoy the epilogue and I'm thrilled to read Chase's story Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover, coming in 2014.

Despite my minor issues No Good Duke Goes Unpunished is a great addition to The Rules of Scoundrels series. It's a well-written story about vengeance, redemption and absolution and a must read for every fan of Sarah MacLean. May Temple seduce all of you!

Recommended read.

If you'd like to read the spoilers then check out the GR link below.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/514799579?utm_medium=email&utm_source=rating