Baba

Reading is like breathing...

Death of a Rock Star - N.J. Frost

2 stars. 1 one star for the story and characters and one extra star for the lyrics. It was the only thing that I actually enjoyed about this novella.

photo tumblr_n1f7z3gwfM1reyd4yo1_500_zps4a4294cc.gif

photo tumblr_myhakvxzHI1sdsv87o1_500_zps2058fa15.gif

photo Sex_zpscb7de2af.gif

The question mark is justified because it was bloody awful sex. I really need more than the use and mention of cock and pussy to feel anything close to excitement.

Yes, I read the warning. It contains strong language, sex and references to drug use. I didn't mind the strong language and I would have enjoyed the sex if it had been great. The drug use…that's another story. I guess it depends on several factors. While drugs are a definite no go for me, I can deal with it in a story but it depends on the protagonists, on condition that I can connect with them. Plus, I need an explanation why they are users and I'd like to see them going into rehab. In consequence, if I don't get a history I can't connect the dots. Granted, this is only a novella and there will be sequel in which, I assume, the reader will get more background information. But since this short story was such a turn-off already, I will be giving it a miss.

(…)Her arse is a thing of beauty, but it's those endless legs I need to see more of…Stripped bare. Wrapped. Around. Me. I mentally slap myself. What the hell am I thinking? I am truly fucking despicable. This is my best friend's ex that I'm having wholly inappropriate thoughts about. This is his funeral. (Baba: a f@ck in the church, why not? Of course I'm being sarcastic. And no, they didn't to the deed.) She's still wearing his jacket, which makes me think she's still his, and anyway, I made a promise. One I fully intend on keeping.

As mentioned above I really enjoyed the lyrics. The music, however, plays an incredibly minor role which I found very disappointing. Overall the story fell flat and the characters are as cold as a block of ice. They are focused on moping, getting wasted and f@cking everybody walking on two legs; drinking was more important than eating. In fact, they seem to need a fast and hard f@ck, drugs and booze more than air to breathe. Also, f@cking without protection is so dangerously thrilling. Yeah, as if. Honestly, I couldn’t care less. This story is riddled with shallow and pathetic f@ck ups. Let's not forget that we have yet another vilified step-mom. Considering the unlikable stepson, they deserve each other.

In consequence, Death of a Rock Star didn’t accomplish to evoke one little iota of emotion from me. You know some kind of romance is desirable but not a basic requirement to make me happy. However, something like this I will gladly return to Amazon for a refund of my money.

Onwards…

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/870627675?utm_medium=email&utm_source=rating